[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-12: Direct Assignment Language Update

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 2 23:42:53 EDT 2023

On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 4:57 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> > On Oct 2, 2023, at 7:30 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > ... I'm not, for example, aware of any SWIP obligations I've
> > picked up due to ARIN restructuring its process. Nor am I aware of
> > holders of what were formerly allocations being released from their
> > SWIP obligations.
> >

> The policy obligations to record sub-delegations up to the community and set in policy,
> so yes – to the extent that you make allocations to downstream customers, you are
> indeed subject to the present policy (NRPM 4.2.3) regarding recording for reallocating
> address space to customers.
>
> You may operate in a manner without such subdelegations (as is the case for most
>  organizations operating as an "end-users”) – in which case such requirements don’t
> come into play.

And that's a change. Previous allocation holders did not have an
option to not report. In fact, reporting their own usage in addition
to delegations facilitated the justification process for the next
block of addresses.

There's nothing wrong with the new approach. It's sensible. But it's
different than the old approach in lots of subtle ways.

I dare say: when practice of the new approach gets well underway we're
likely to find it's different in ways we haven't imagined yet.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin