[arin-ppml] Section 6.1 – Potential Simplification (from the NRPM Working Group)

owen@Delong.com owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 21 20:49:34 EST 2023

> On Nov 17, 2023, at 06:22, Dale W. Carder <dwcarder at es.net> wrote:
>
> Thus spake Matthew Wilder via ARIN-PPML (arin-ppml at arin.net <mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>) on Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 05:15:47PM -0800:
>> Hello ARIN community members,
>>
>> I just want to remind you that we as a working group value your feedback
>> and would welcome any input you might wish to offer as we consider possible
>> changes to Section 6. As Chris mentioned, I wish to remind you that I will
>> be posting another topic next week.
>>
>> For now, however, I would like to encourage you to share your consideration
>> of Section 6.1 as a member of the community. Thank you Owen for doing so
>> already.
>
> I am somewhat indifferent, as on one hand it's not policy as much as it
> is now a historical footnote.  That said, it may be of value to codify
> that section 6 only applies to 2000::/3 as it stands today.  A future
> block from IANA could concieveably have a different set of allocation
> policies, or at least "forcing" the evaluation of that should be
> considered.

If we choose to do that, I would recommend doing it a bit more generically.

These policies apply only to space issued to ARIN by the current IANA function provider from the blocks allocated to Global Unicast Address space.

If you wanted to expand on that, you could add “At the time of this writing, that is 2000::/3”.

Owen