[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-2: Remove Barrier to BGP Uptake in ASN Policy

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sun Sep 18 16:16:14 EDT 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 10:59 Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 8:03 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 7:46 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> > > Any organization may be issued a single Autonomous System Number (ASN)
> upon request. Organizations that have space issued under Multiple Discrete
> Networks policy may be issued one ASN per discrete network upon request.
> > >
> > > Additional ASN requests should include proof of the requestor's need
> for a unique routing policy, or other technical justification for the need
> for more than one ASN.
> >
> > I conditionally support this proposal on the condition that there is
> > an accompanying change to the fee schedule such that the second and
> > subsequent AS numbers assigned to a single organization each incur an
> > additional annual fee.
>
> I tend to agree here (although, as always, fees are not
> an issue for policy discussions.....)
>
> I would think that all orgs (RSP and ASN only orgs)
> should end up paying the same annual fee per ASN
> (currently $150/yr/ASN), with, perhaps, some number
> of ASN's included without additional fee per service
> category size (1 for a 3x-small customer, 2 for a
> 2x-small, 4 for a x-small, ???).

I support this policy as written.

While fees are out of scope for policy, I’ll note there is still a $550
Transactional Fee for the issuance of an ASN, I think that is a
sufficiently large fee to discourage excessive use of ASNs.

Furthermore, given this policy makes the issuance of the first ASN for an
organization almost pro forma, maybe the board should consider waiving the
transactional for the first ASN issued to an organization. I think the
transactional fee for subsequently issued ASNs, even for Multiple Discrete
Networks, is appropriate.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952