[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-2: Remove Barrier to BGP Uptake in ASN Policy

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:59:12 EDT 2022

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 8:03 AM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 7:46 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> > Any organization may be issued a single Autonomous System Number (ASN) upon request. Organizations that have space issued under Multiple Discrete Networks policy may be issued one ASN per discrete network upon request.
> >
> > Additional ASN requests should include proof of the requestor's need for a unique routing policy, or other technical justification for the need for more than one ASN.
>
> I conditionally support this proposal on the condition that there is
> an accompanying change to the fee schedule such that the second and
> subsequent AS numbers assigned to a single organization each incur an
> additional annual fee.

I tend to agree here (although, as always, fees are not
an issue for policy discussions.....)

I would think that all orgs (RSP and ASN only orgs)
should end up paying the same annual fee per ASN
(currently $150/yr/ASN), with, perhaps, some number
of ASN's included without additional fee per service
category size (1 for a 3x-small customer, 2 for a
2x-small, 4 for a x-small, ???).