[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-2: Remove Barrier to BGP Uptake in ASN Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Sep 18 04:03:07 EDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 7:46 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Any organization may be issued a single Autonomous System Number (ASN) upon request. Organizations that have space issued under Multiple Discrete Networks policy may be issued one ASN per discrete network upon request.
>
> Additional ASN requests should include proof of the requestor's need for a unique routing policy, or other technical justification for the need for more than one ASN.

I conditionally support this proposal on the condition that there is
an accompanying change to the fee schedule such that the second and
subsequent AS numbers assigned to a single organization each incur an
additional annual fee.

I can, sadly, imagine a network architecture which technically
justifies the issuance of thousands of AS numbers to a single 3x-small
organization. Think Anycast in which each pop gets a unique origin AS
number that can be used for troubleshooting when trying to figure out
which pop is being preferred through a non-responsive route. I don't
object to this per se, but I think the folks who need it should pay
more than the flat rate. Under the current fee schedule, the total
annual fee including IP addresses and thousands of AS numbers for a
3x-small organization would be $250.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--