[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2022-13: Clean-up of NRPM Section 2.10

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Nov 21 17:24:31 EST 2022

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 12:13 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:

> Draft Policy ARIN-2022-13: Clean-up of NRPM Section 2.10
>

> Problem Statement:
>

> As a result of ARIN’s fee harmonization direct assignments are no longer
> being utilized within ARIN databases therefore language around that has
> been deprecated and should be modernized.

It is unclear to me why the term "end site" and its use in the NRPM has
anything to do with ARIN’s fee harmonization or direct assignments, as
presented in the Problem Statement. The term "end site" is used in
section 6.5.2.1. in determining the size of initial allocations to LIRs and
in section 2.15. Provider Assignment Unit (IPv6), which itself is used in
section 2.16. Utilized (IPv6) and in section 6.5.2.1 as Provider Allocation
Unit.  Furthermore, section 6.5.8, Direct Assignments from ARIN to End-user
Organizations, which the problem statement seems most related to, uses the
simple term "sites" and not the defined term "end sites." But even if
section 6.5.8 used the term "end site," it is still unclear to me why it
needs to be changed.

Therefore, in my mind, the Problem statement and the proposed new Policy
Statement are mismatched. In my opinion, the current definition of "end
site" remains appropriate and should not be modified at all.

I do believe that section 2.15 should be retitled as "Provider Allocation
Unit," and the term should also be changed in the body of sections 2.15 and
2.16, and the current use of the term "Provider Allocation Unit" in section
6.5.2.1 is correct. However, it would probably be best for this to be a
separate proposal.

As for this proposal, if the term "end site" needs to be modified, the
Problem Statement needs to more clearly state what is wrong with the
currently defined term "end site" and how it is used within the NRPM.

Thanks.

Problem Statement:

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952