[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2022-3: Remove Officer Attestation Requirement for 8.5.5

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 19:40:44 EDT 2022

Dear ARIN-PPML,

Le lundi 27 juin 2022, John Sweeting <jsweeting at arin.net> a écrit :

> Hello PPML,

Hi John,
Thanks for your well appreciated email, brother.

> ARIN would like to provide a clarification on both the Officer Attestation
> which is what is highlighted in DP ARIN-2022-3 and the Officer
> Acknowledgement which is not included in that Draft Policy.

Noted with thanks :-)

> Officer Attestation, as referenced in ARIN Number Resource Policy Manual
> (NRPM) 8.5.5 Block Size is specifically asking for an officer of the
> organization to attest to the documented justification that states at least
> 50% of the requested block size will be used within the next 24 months.

It seems as a tool which could reduce:

1| disagreements with resource holders, not
recognising the validity of their current documented
 justification?
2| voluntary INR's reservations?
3| anything else?

John, please, what could be the practical usecases
of this tool?

In other words: in what is it actually useful to ARIN?

> There is no notarization required and it serves to state and confirm
> that yes, that is our plan for the next 24 months and the information and
> documentation provided is accurate. This is only asked for in conjunction
> with a specified transfer recipient.

Sure! no need...given that ARIN appears to have
sufficient flexibility [1] to deal with non compliance;
 regarding percentage of INRs utilization...

<quote>
"If your organization acquired assets (such as
customers and equipment) from another
organization via an acquisition or merger, and those
 assets are using IP addresses and/or ASNs that
are directly registered through ARIN, you may
request a transfer of those resources. ARIN will
proceed with processing transfer requests even if
the number resources of the combined
organizations exceed what can be justified under
current ARIN policy as defined in NRPM Section
8.5. In that event, *ARIN will work with the resource
holder(s)* to *transfer the extra number resources*
to other organization(s) or *accept a voluntary
return* of the *extra number resources* to ARIN."
</quote>
[1]:
https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/#:~:text=If%20your%20organization%20acquired,extra%20number%20resources%20to%20ARIN
.

...i've quoted something about M&A, but it applies
to other types of INR transfers in similar manners.

> On the other hand, Officer Acknowledgement, which is not contained in the
> NRPM, is an operational requirement for Source Organizations (Current
> Registrant) found at:
>

> https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/
>

> This requirement states that “The source organization must provide a
> signed and notarized Officer Acknowledgement Letter
> <https://www.arin.net/about/corporate/agreements/office_acknowledgement.pdf>.
> The purposes of this requirement are:
>

> -to state that there are no known disputes from another party to claim
> rights to these Internet number resources
>
> -to ensure that a duly authorized officer has the authority to legally
> bind the source registrant
>
> -to document the authorization to transfer said resources
>
> -to provide indemnification to ARIN
>
> -to verify that the data in the transfer request ticket is accurate
>
> -to agree to all terms and release the rights to the Internet number
> resources contained in the specified transfer ticket.
>

> As you can see there is really no comparison to the two separate and
> distinct documents that serve two very different purposes.

Many thanks for these insightful clarifications :-)
...once more.

> If there is further information required please reply and we will get that
> out to the list.

Please see above, brother!

Shalom,
--sb.