[arin-ppml] AFRINIC vote buying

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 2 11:36:40 EDT 2022

> On Jun 1, 2022, at 14:52 , Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
> In message <AD0CAA8A-25D6-42FD-A077-1F024541DE64 at delong.com>,
> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
>> It's actually full of misinformation.
>>
>> It misstates the AFRINIC bylaws, the contents of the RSA, and the CPM.
>>
>> It is also from one of the candidates hand picked by the board and
>> Nominating Committee to railroad the election.
>>
>> The election has been challenged and is currently blocked by court order
>
> So, just to be clear about this Owen, are you asserting that, contrary to
> the first-person testimony contained in the video, there are not now, and
> there have not been, within, say, the preceeding calendar year, back from today,

> any attempts to purchase "voting rights" from any member organization of
> AFRINIC, and that no member of AFRINIC has been either offered or given any
> kind of compensation, renumeration, inducement, or "investment" of any kind
> which has been conditioned upon the receiving member either changing its
> official vote(s) or giving over control of said vote(s) to any other party
> or parties?

I am not. I have no idea one way or the other whether that has occurred or not.

I am saying that a lot of the other things he said in the video are factually incorrect
and misleading. I am saying that his interpretation of the bylaws, CPM, and RSA
is flat out incorrect and that someone who is a candidate for the board should be
more familiar with the governing documents of the organization and be able to
read their plain text meaning more accurately than he apparently has.

> Owen, I know that, much like myself, you are enamored of extensive elaboration,
> but in this instance I do believe that a simple yes or no will do.

I think you are wrong in this case. You are assuming I was commenting on different
aspects of the video than I was.

I attack the credibility of the man in the video based on the statements he makes that
I know to be false. I have no idea about the statements you are focused on. They could
be true or false, either way and I have no idea.

On the other hand, I’m not sure that’s all that relevant. While I consider such actions to
be immoral and unethical, they aren’t actually prohibited by any of the AFRINIC governing
documents.

On the other hand, many of the recent acts of the board are actually violation of MU law
and/or the AFRINIC governing documents, so I’m more focused on that.

Owen