[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jul 18 10:14:29 EDT 2022

In message <5F5A1774-977C-4815-A7B5-259F8AC06106 at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>You're seeking more detailed information about the legal entities that hold
>the rights to number resources in the ARIN registry.

Yes and no.  I am seeking information about entities that have been granted
ARIN memberships, regardless of whether they have been assigned any number
resources.

>Some of the information you seek may indeed be collected and processed at
>the time of entering a registration services agreement and/or making a
>resource request

*Someone* has to sign on the dotted line, or else no membership and no
resources, right?  We all know that, so why are you even bothering to
equivocate on this point?

>but it is not collected for purposes of publication

Yea.  So?

>nor is it clear that ARIN, under present policies, could ever assert a
>necessary purpose that would allow publication

OK. I'll bite.

Why does ARIN need to have a "necessary purpose" to publish the names of the
people who sign on the dotted line?  Why isn't it sufficient that by publishing
this info, ARIN is serving the Greater Good and the Community's Best Interests?

Where is it written in law that ARIN must have a "necessary purpose" and where
is that term defined, exactly?

Does the UK goverment have a "necessary purpose" in publishing the names and
addresses and nationalities of all of the beneficial owners of all UK
corporate entities?  If so, then what is that "necessary purpose" exactly?
If not, then please explain why the UK can publish information that ARIN
cannot?  (This ought to be interesting!)

>Therefore, if you wish more detail on a given legal entity that happens to
>hold number resources in the ARIN registry, you need to deal with the
>corporate register of the respective country.

I believe that's what we call a "non sequitur", i.e. a conclusion that does
not follow from the premise.

As far as I am aware, ARIN is incorpotated in the U.S. State of Virginia and
must thus conform its behavior to the laws as they exist in the State of
Virginia.  You seem to be making the rather remarkable claim that ARIN's
behavior is dictated by the laws that exist in Nevis & St. Kitts.

On what are you basing that very facinating conclusion?

Regards,
rfg