[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Jul 14 17:49:37 EDT 2022

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 2:35 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com>
> wrote:
> > Note that if there's actual indications of wrongdoing, we already
> > have a means to file a complaint with ARIN, as John has repeatedly
> > pointed out.
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> I think maybe you missed my point. We don't know how ARIN would treat
> Ronald's information if filed in a formal complaint and can't
> rationally discuss whether that enforcement is consistent with our
> policy-level expectations because ARIN doesn't publish enough details
> about the complaints, their investigations and the results. There
> ought to be a way to open that black box without unduly harming the
> folks who get investigated. Like making it all public upon the
> investigation's conclusion when all the information is on the table.
> Upon finding the complaint unsubstantiated, ARIN could even offer the
> registrant the opportunity to redact anything they considered a trade
> secret before publication. We'd still end up with a heck of a lot more
> information and quite possibly enough information to inform a policy
> discussion.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

Hi Bill,

I think it's reasonable for any positive finding of fault that the
publicly-revealable information about the fault-finding be
made available.

But if no fault is found, I don't think it's appropriate to have to
release documents or records that were used to demonstrate
innocence unless those documents or records had already
previously been made public.  I think it's sufficient for ARIN
to say that the accusation was found to be without merit, and
leave it at that.

Otherwise we're again punishing the innocent victim by forcing
them to dig through the material used and specifically redact
the material before it is released.

How many of us have staff people we can spare to go through
hundreds or thousands of pages of documents to redact material
that was provided to ARIN in confidence before it gets published
to the world?

How many of us would have to take the time to circumscribe or
anonymize network diagrams and internal network allocation
documents before we submitted them to ARIN if we now had
to worry that they might be published to the world based on
someone's unmerited accusation?

When I was submitting resource requests to ARIN, we provided
information at a detail we would never release to the public,
with the understanding it would be seen by ARIN staff only, or
law enforcement if ARIN were to be so compelled.

Would you want your internal network allocations to be made
public, simply because I lodged a frivolous claim of fraudulent
resource allocation against you?  Would you want your network
topology diagrams to be published to the world, just so that everyone
could be satisfied that you really did need the address space in the
areas you had requested, including your future expansion plans for
the next two years?  I'm sure your competitors would be very happy
to see what markets you were planning to expand into ahead of time.

No, we submitted that information to ARIN with the understanding that
it was for ARIN staff eyes only, to evaluate our number resource needs
now and in the near future--not to have it revealed to the world just
so that someone could satisfy themselves that we had committed
no wrong.

Matt