[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jul 14 18:07:14 EDT 2022

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 2:49 PM Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 2:35 PM William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Like making it all public upon the
>> investigation's conclusion when all the information is on the table.
>> Upon finding the complaint unsubstantiated, ARIN could even offer the
>> registrant the opportunity to redact anything they considered a trade
>> secret before publication. We'd still end up with a heck of a lot more
>> information and quite possibly enough information to inform a policy
>> discussion.

> if no fault is found, I don't think it's appropriate to have to
> release documents or records that were used to demonstrate
> innocence unless those documents or records had already
> previously been made public
> How many of us have staff people we can spare to go through
> hundreds or thousands of pages of documents to redact material
> that was provided to ARIN in confidence before it gets published
> to the world?

Hi Matthew,

The picture in my head was of an ARIN-written report running to no
more than a few pages describing the key accusations and evidence
supporting or refuting them. Specific but abridged. Where fault was
not found (or was corrected to ARIN's satisfaction) the registrant
would have the opportunity to redact anything in the report they
considered a trade secret. Of course, the choice of redaction would
also inform the policy debate but then the information that an
organization can keep private while justifying IP addresses is also a
matter for a healthy public policy debate.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
For hire. https://bill.herrin.us/resume/