[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 22 05:45:59 EDT 2021

> On Sep 21, 2021, at 12:50 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, 22:25 Isaiah Olson, <isaiah at olson-network.com <mailto:isaiah at olson-network.com>> wrote:
> I am opposed to this proposal and would in fact like to see a policy
> proposal that strengthens the requirement to provide actual network
> services in order to receive additional address space.
>
> Hi Isaiah
>
> I am in total agreement with your sentiment and the requirement for a circuit should continue to stand.
>
> Any policy that removes such a requirement would render the management of Internet Number Resources by the registry useless and thereby essentially lead to no need for the registry after all.

You’re going to need to define circuit here.

If I hand the customer a battery with wires that go from the battery to a bulb and back to the battery, I have provided the customer a circuit. I bet this is not what you mean.

If I deliver the customer a 100Gbps ethernet over fiber connection, technically, I have not delivered a circuit to the customer, as there is no electrical interface between the customer’s equipment and mine. I suspect this is not your intent.

When it comes to constructing useful policy in an area fraught with corner cases, the devil is deep in the details and the precise choice of words can matter greatly.

Be careful what you wish for and even more careful what you actually put into effect as policy.

Owen