[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement

Isaiah Olson isaiah at olson-network.com
Tue Sep 21 15:25:32 EDT 2021

I am opposed to this proposal and would in fact like to see a policy
proposal that strengthens the requirement to provide actual network
services in order to receive additional address space. I agree that the
current policy is unclear and possibly causing confusion for ARIN staff
processing transfers when leasing is involved, and that updating it to
prevent abuse of resources without affecting operational networks is a
complex task. Despite the difficulty, I hope the community can converge
on a proposal to that end. Questions of fig leaves and fraudulent intent
are best left to the courts to interpret, but there cannot be
accountability for fraud without clear policy.

In relation to this particular proposal, I would ask the community to
consider the consequences of implementation. Some have suggested that
the current policy can be evaded with simple "fig leaves" to present the
illusion of the provision of network services. I am not so sure. Under
the current policy, I would certainly not be comfortable requesting an
additional /23 or /22 from the waiting list for "VPN Services" and
proceeding to lease that space out to be announced elsewhere while
maintaining a VPN link for appearances. If this policy were to be
adopted, there would be absolutely nothing fraudulent about requesting a
/22 for the purposes of leasing it to be announced on completely
unrelated networks. Given the dozens of emails that I have received in
the last several months offering to buy or lease my current IPv4 block,
I am confident that I could immediately find lessees and be ready to
request additional space from ARIN as soon as the six month waiting
period has expired. Further, as it has been recently pointed out, this
economies of scale only get better as you obtain more and more space, as
my fees would cap out quickly at $2000/year in around two years which is
easily subsidized with the leasing revenue from 4,096+ addresses. I am
uncomfortable with the idea that anyone with the time to set up a
corporation whose business model is "holding IPv4 resources and leasing
them out" could effectively loot the waiting list for thousands of
addresses in a couple short years. Given the current price explosion in
the IPv4 transfer market, I feel that this risk posed by this proposal
to the integrity of the waiting list is very tangible. Additionally,
basic economics of supply and demand show that opening up the transfer
market for speculation and investment without requiring even the
appearance of an operational network has the potential to cause prices
to skyrocket to even more absurd levels.

Lastly, I also agree with others that the actual proposed policy
language is flawed, "users of the network" is incredibly vague and it's
unclear whether "network" refers to the Internet shared resource as a
whole (global DFZ) or any network.

Isaiah Olson
Olson Tech, LLC