[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 8 00:37:15 EDT 2021

On 8 Sep 2021, at 12:22 AM, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us<mailto:michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us>> wrote:

I don’t see how anyone views “IP address blocks” as anything other than a set of rights to a particular
entry in the Internet number registry, particularly since that’s what gets changed upon issuance.

I do see it that way, but not my bean counters.

Michel -

You’re free to buy anything you wish… mysterious quark things, magic beans, “routing table rights”, whatever…

My point is simply that if you do go forth and are offered something for sale that is not tied to the rights to be associated with and update the ARIN registry entry, be aware that someone else likely has those rights to the address block in question – whether you choose to ignore that or not is entirely up to you.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO