[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Sep 8 22:19:16 EDT 2021

> John Curran wrote :
> Michel -
> You’re free to buy anything you wish... mysterious quark things, magic beans, “routing table rights”, whatever...
> My point is simply that if you do go forth and are offered something for sale that is not tied to the rights to
> be associated with and update the ARIN registry entry, be aware that someone else likely has those rights to the
> address block in question – whether you choose to ignore that or not is entirely up to you.

I have no doubt whatsoever, when ARIN is concerned. I have no problem telling the people with the money that ARIN entries in the database are worth money.
For now. And in the future, I hope.

You missed my point : in AfriNic land, I would not. The stability of the Internet as an ecosystem depends on many things, including all the five RIRs behaving more or less in a similar fashion.

Even if we have not often been on the same side, I do recognize your abilities being at the helm. I could not say the same for AfriNic leadership. What you have to do here is to bring AfriNic out of the middle ages in terms of doing business. If AfriNic collapses to whatever is in someone's plans, you can forget about current policies; it's going to be the wild wild west.

Here's something for your thought process : there are multiple ways the Internet can be balkanized. On one of these, we do not agree. On RIRs falling to the influence of who has enough money to buy a RIR or a country, it looks to me that you are feeling the danger : it is clear to both you and me that someone could buy AfriNic. What I am trying to say here is : even if you don't believe it now, if AfriNic falls, someone will come up with enough dough to buy ARIN. Just to make sure it does not happen here.

Michel.