[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Sep 8 00:22:19 EDT 2021

John -

> John Curran wrote :
> A most excellent question - I guess it depends on what you mean by sale of “an IP address block"... ARIN
> considers address holders to have been issued of set of limited rights to a particular entry in the ARIN
> registry database - we already knew that such contractual rights could be transferred (in accordance with
> the terms of contract) as an asset of an estate, and were prepared if we ever got notice of such a proposed sale.

I do understand why you are maintaining this line, but arguing about it with Owen and Mike does not do you good. Your finest hour was when you picked up that bomb that had already gone off and managed to diffuse it. You deal with policy politics, I deal with the real world. The real world is that I have to go to my C-level execs and say we have to buy IPv4 addresses. They do not have the attention span to understand that IP addresses are integers that are not sale, and that what we have to pay for is the privilege to have ARIN list us in its database as the registered user of them. Which does not do us any good in half of the world. Heck, if I had to go to my stockholders and explain that, in fact, we are not buying anything but the fact that most legit players in our part of the world would trust ARIN, I would not even try.

> I don’t see how anyone views “IP address blocks” as anything other than a set of rights to a particular
> entry in the Internet number registry, particularly since that’s what gets changed upon issuance.

I do see it that way, but not my bean counters.

Michel.