[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-12: M&A Legal Jurisdiction Exclusion

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Oct 16 02:08:36 EDT 2019

comments inline;

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 8:00 PM Joe Provo <ppml at rsuc.gweep.net> wrote:

> Per this and additional private commentary, I'd suggest we
> keep it simple to speak directly to the matters within the
> section where the change is made (8.2 transfers) and therefore
> add the following to section 8.2:
>
> "M&A activity resulting in the surviving legal entity which
>  is not incorporated in the ARIN service region will be
>  permitted to hold only their existing number resources
>  directly allocated or assigned by ARIN."

I support this change to the Policy Text;

> Would that address the desire for clarification?

I think this clarifies the situation without giving the impression that an
organization can obtain resources from ARIN without being
incorporated within the ARIN region.

> Do the previous existing supporters, detractors or those
> who held neutral opinions have further input?

It might provide additional clarity without cluttering section 8.2 by
adding the following to the other comments section of this Draft Policy;

To clarify more broadly, a legal entity incorporated within the ARIN
service region is necessary to receive any allocation or assignment from
ARIN. Therefore, in the scenario postulated in the problem statement, the
organization would have to re-establish itself within the ARIN service
region to receive additional resources from ARIN, while it can continue to
hold the allocations or assignments made prior to any merger, acquisition,
or reorganization activity.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952