[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Sat May 4 14:13:14 EDT 2019

On 04/05/2019 00:53, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 11:10 PM Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
> <mailto:hank at efes.iucc.ac.il>> wrote:
> > On 02/05/2019 21:06, John Curran wrote:
> > >
> > > It is certainly possible to change the rights provided with address
> > > block issuance to include routing responsibilities, but that’s a
> > > rather significant change compared to ARIN’s present scope of
> operations.
> >
> > So issuing an address block via ARIN is issued in a vacuum with no
> > implied routing responsibilities?  I also don't understand why it would
> > be a significant change to add such responsibility.
> >
> > "ARIN hereby allocates to you an IP address block and hereby grants you
> > sole permission to announce that address block to the Internet."
> >
> > Simple enough?
>
> Hi Hank,
>
> The Internet doesn't exist, not in any legal sense. It's a conceptual
> framework of cooperating public and private networks. ARIN has zero
> legal basis for exercising authority over the operation of those
> individual networks. Even ARIN's basic function as a registry relies
> entirely on those network operators' ongoing choice to rely on ARIN as
> an authoritative source of knowledge.

So if you don't like the word Internet, replace it with whatever word or
phrase you are more comfortable with.  If network operators currently
rely on ARIN as the authoritative source of IP "ownership", why can't
that mandate include a statement that we accept them to also imply that
that IP "ownership" also grants one the sole ability to announce that IP
block?

> You're barking up the wrong tree here. ARIN can't exercise any
> authority the network operators don't consent to it exercising. It's
> that simple... and that complicated. You have to convince a usefully
> large number of network owners that they SHOULD cede ARIN new
> authority in this matter.

Can you point me at the document or standard that the *network
operators* hereby granted ARIN the authority to allocate IP addresses?
I must have missed that.

-Hank