[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A - Seeking Community Comments

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 15 17:47:08 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 2:27 PM <hostmaster at uneedus.com> wrote:

> It depends on if this is PI or PA space.
>
> In the case of PI space, you may be right, one route removed, one route
> added - net change likely zero.  However in the long run, PI space is
> going to make the IPv4 routing tables look small when everyone has their
> own route, rather than a combined route with your upstream in the DFZ.

I did a deep dive on this in the IETF a decade or so ago. Short version: as
long as the layer 4 protocols (i.e. TCP) have a hard dependency on the
layer 3 address, there won't be any reduction in the use of PI space. Folks
willing to pay for two ISPs don't generally accept connections breaking
when one of the ISPs fails. We can argue about it but until we reinvent
layer 4 so that the dependency is soft (like IP's dependency on the
ethernet MAC address) we'd be wasting everybody's time.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin