[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A - Seeking Community Comments

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Mon Jul 15 17:26:55 EDT 2019

It depends on if this is PI or PA space.

In the case of PI space, you may be right, one route removed, one route
added - net change likely zero.  However in the long run, PI space is
going to make the IPv4 routing tables look small when everyone has their
own route, rather than a combined route with your upstream in the DFZ.

In the case of PA space, the default route leads to the upstream of the
block, and breaking out a portion to be routed differently clearly adds
routes.

This is one place that the IETF has let us down. IPv6 was supposed to
allow multiple routers, each with its own upstream. I do this, but it
requires hacks that should not be needed.  According to the specs it is
supposed to be possible to multihome in IPv6 using only your provider(s)
provided PA space.  The problem is that many OS's do not deal well with
more than one router, so people are getting PI space and using BGP
sessions to get around the shortcomings of what was supposed to be
automatic multihoming and renumbering.  When this is fixed, the need for
PI space will be greatly reduced.

With the sheer volume of IPv6 addresses at some point the growth of the
routing tables because of PI addresses will not be sustainable, and some
providers might even black hole them.

I have had to renumber in the past, and at least in Linux, sed is your
friend. It really is not that hard.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.