[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A - Seeking Community Comments

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Jul 15 17:38:05 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 4:07 PM Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 05:01:43PM -0400, hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:
> > I understand that we allow this in IPv4 only because of the shortage.
> > Further, changing IPv6 addresseses is not as big of hardship as it was
> > in IPv4 land, since both networks can exist during a changeover
> > period. Also, each segment always uses a /64, allowing easy changes of
> > the first 64 bits with automated tools in most Operating Systems.
> > There is NO shortage of IPv6 addresses, so why should we cause
> > unneeded expansion of the routing tables just to prevent a single AS
> > from having to renumber their single IPv6 network?
>
> Can you demonstrate how the routing tables will expand? This "argument"
> has been brought up a few times, but it is not clear to me how an
> administrative transfer from one RIR to another RIR has anything to do
> with the BGP tables.

I don't believe that simply allowing Inter-RIR M&A transfers of IPv6 will
result in any significant growth in the IPv6 BGP routing table. Especially,
if whole blocks are transferred, which seems to be the primary intent of
this policy. In theory, there is a potential for a small increase due to
the fact that it may be possible for the original RIR to expand a prefix in
place, while any expansion from the new RIR will likely be a separate new
block. However, the real pressure on the BGP table will come from TE,
end-user direct assignments (PI), and other sources. Inter-RIR M&A
transfers of IPv6 is likely to provide only minimal pressure on the BGP
table, nevertheless, it is not zero, but it doesn't seem like it should be
a big worry either.

I believe there should be some limited mechanism for Inter-RIR M&A
transfers of IPv6, but not full transfers for almost any reason like we
have for IPv4 and ASNs.  This and the related policies seem to foot that
bill in my opinion.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952