[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Feb 28 18:13:59 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 4:35 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <
> CAN-Dau3t2qNFrvDS+2J46ZHLp3tgSuNGte+FReQYGuxU5sWydQ at mail.gmail.com>
> David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>
> >Limiting abuse while important and necessary is actually a secondary goal
> >and the tactics needed to outright prevent abuse are probably run counter
> >to the primary goal. Remember everything you do to limit bad actors also
> >creates burdens on the good actors too, so this is always a balancing act.
>
> I disagree with the above assertion.
>
> At my local Wallgreens drug story, every exit door is flanked by a pair of
> tall thin retail theft detectors.  I, as a retall customer, am not burdened
> at all by having to pass between those on my way out of the store.
>
> This is just one example.
>
> In my own work, I've tried to develop technology that could accurately
> separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to snowshoe spamming
> domains versus innocent or unrelated domains.  I have been reasonably
> successful with that effort so far, and have caused no discernable
> hardship on innocent domain names or their owners.

Ok, I guess it is theoretically possible there are options that are
equivalent to retail theft detectors, with no impact on good actors.
However, I'm not aware of any policy options with such properties, all of
them that I can think of involve the balancing act I referred too. If you
have ideas for policies that only impact the bad actors please share them.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952