[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Feb 28 17:35:08 EST 2019

In message <CAN-Dau3t2qNFrvDS+2J46ZHLp3tgSuNGte+FReQYGuxU5sWydQ at mail.gmail.com>
David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

>Limiting abuse while important and necessary is actually a secondary goal
>and the tactics needed to outright prevent abuse are probably run counter
>to the primary goal. Remember everything you do to limit bad actors also
>creates burdens on the good actors too, so this is always a balancing act.

I disagree with the above assertion.

At my local Wallgreens drug story, every exit door is flanked by a pair of
tall thin retail theft detectors.  I, as a retall customer, am not burdened
at all by having to pass between those on my way out of the store.

This is just one example.

In my own work, I've tried to develop technology that could accurately
separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to snowshoe spamming
domains versus innocent or unrelated domains.  I have been reasonably
successful with that effort so far, and have caused no discernable
hardship on innocent domain names or their owners.

Regards,
rfg