[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2017-1: Clarify Slow Start for Transfers proposed updates

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Mon May 8 13:42:08 EDT 2017

John,

In a word no.

One could imagine a justification that says something like:
- on 12/05 we got a /16
   -- (assume we demonstrated efficient utilization of currently
        held space at this time)
- on 05/05 we demonstrated efficient use of the this space
   --  (assume efficient utilization of the new /16 is justifiable)
   --  (assume efficient utilization of previous held space is justifiable)
- at current consumption rate, a /14 represents a two year supply
- we anticipate that our product will continue growing for the for see-able
future

Can we have a /14 please?
---

Technically the request above makes no prediction about the future.  I
suspect
such a request would get approved, but it would be nice to formalize it.

The difference is in the past, under slow star, it was very clear what was
required
and what ARIN would accept.

The future-looking requirements are by necessity less clear, and hence the
result is less predictable, and can unexpectedly take longer.

Separation form section 4, removed a clearly stated, clearly understood,
well exercised, acceptable set of justification.

This policy is an attempt to re-instate that there is at least one very
clearly
defined justification that ARIN finds acceptable, and hence at least one
clearly defined and predictable path

Beyond that it tweaks the pre-existing slow start in two ways:
1. it opens it up to end-users
2. it makes allowances for the possibility of a pause due to the inability
    to get timely transfers.

___Jason