[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2017-1: Clarify Slow Start for Transfers proposed updates

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon May 8 17:56:09 EDT 2017

On 8 May 2017, at 12:42 PM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> In a word no.
>
> One could imagine a justification that says something like:
> - on 12/05 we got a /16
>    -- (assume we demonstrated efficient utilization of currently
>         held space at this time)
> - on 05/05 we demonstrated efficient use of the this space
>    --  (assume efficient utilization of the new /16 is justifiable)
>    --  (assume efficient utilization of previous held space is justifiable)
> - at current consumption rate, a /14 represents a two year supply
> - we anticipate that our product will continue growing for the for see-able future
>
> Can we have a /14 please?
> ---
>
> Technically the request above makes no prediction about the future.

Jason -

Regardless of whether you call it a prediction or not, your extension of your consumption rate
to establish your 'two year supply’ meets NRPM 8.5.5’s requirement for “documentation to
ARIN which details the use of at least 50% of the requested IPv4 block size within 24 months.”

This aligns with the clear policy intent of transfer policy as adopted by the community; so long
as an officer of the organization attests to the documentation, such requests will be approved.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO