[arin-ppml] ARIN Draft Policy 2017-1: Clarify Slow Start for Transfers proposed updates

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon May 8 12:41:50 EDT 2017

On 8 May 2017, at 11:27 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com<mailto:jschiller at google.com>> wrote:

Comments in line.
In the absence of real data, people will often guess.  Some people guess better, some
worse.  Some guesses are based on intricate algorithms, real data, and Fermi maths,
others are just what feel right.  Either type can be multiple orders of magnitude off, or
in the right ballpark.

Do we really want to encourage data driven companies who previously requested less IP
space then they needed because their requests have always been based on a real
measure of consumption, and not addressing speculative growth, to instead require them
to guess about the future?

Jason -

    Is there a reason that data-driven companies cannot make use of the existing transfer
    policy, and create their anticipated 24-month need based on their actual past utilization?

    I am having difficulty understanding why policy is needed specifically to enable use of
    one particular type of forward-looking projection (i.e. forecasts based on past utilization.)

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO