[arin-ppml] ARIN Accounts for Financing / Leasing IP

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 10 17:08:13 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:35 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>
>> Contractually you do not own addresses allocated to you through ARIN's
>> transfer process. In the Registration Services Agreement you signed you
>> explicitly disclaimed ownership. There is no legal ownership, either by you
>> or a financing company. There might or might not be legal ownership by ARIN
>> -- that's not well defined by the courts yet.
>>

> 'Ownership' can be achieved.

Hi Marty,

I think so too but I'd be hard pressed to identify anyone who has ever
established clear-title ownership of an ARIN block of IP addresses.

Bankruptcy cases have established that IP addresses are assets with
monetary value suitable for disposal in the proceedings. It's not a long
trek from there to "documentary intangible property." But no court that I
know of has ever directly ruled that addresses are property as understood
by the law and as a transfer recipient you contractually disclaim the right
to assert that the addresses you received in the transfer are your property,

In terms of his question about financing, its an interesting request.

Borrow against something else to fund the address purchase.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>