[arin-ppml] ARIN Accounts for Financing / Leasing IP

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 10 16:35:59 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Robby Hicks <robby at usdedicated.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, quick question for you here. We are looking to buy a larger
> block of IP's, however we need to finance this out through a financing
> company.
>
> During the financing term, ownership of the IP would need to be by the
> financial institution, then transferred to our account after buyout is
> completed.

Hi Robby,

Contractually you do not own addresses allocated to you through ARIN's
transfer process. In the Registration Services Agreement you signed you
explicitly disclaimed ownership. There is no legal ownership, either by you
or a financing company. There might or might not be legal ownership by ARIN
-- that's not well defined by the courts yet.

Organizations receiving IP addresses from ARIN must demonstrate an
operational need. The financing company has no such need. Hence ARIN will
not accept them as the registrant lawfully entitled to control of the
address block.

To some extent you may be able to make binding legal promises to the
financing company with respect to facilitating a subsequent transfer should
you default on payments. A lawyer could help you figure out how. I'm
dubious about your luck talking the financing company in to it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>