[arin-ppml] ARIN Accounts for Financing / Leasing IP

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 16:46:38 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:35 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Robby Hicks <robby at usdedicated.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, quick question for you here. We are looking to buy a larger
>> block of IP's, however we need to finance this out through a financing
>> company.
>>
>> During the financing term, ownership of the IP would need to be by the
>> financial institution, then transferred to our account after buyout is
>> completed.
>>

> Hi Robby,
>
> Contractually you do not own addresses allocated to you through ARIN's
> transfer process. In the Registration Services Agreement you signed you
> explicitly disclaimed ownership. There is no legal ownership, either by you
> or a financing company. There might or might not be legal ownership by ARIN
> -- that's not well defined by the courts yet.

'Ownership' can be achieved. In terms of his question about financing, its
an interesting request. It is possible to acquire space and if you properly
engage "A" $RIR, you could well call it an asset. One won't be able to
finance a debt position in it otherwise AFAIK since if it's not property
and you don't own it you can't collateralize it.

Organizations receiving IP addresses from ARIN must demonstrate an
> operational need. The financing company has no such need. Hence ARIN will
> not accept them as the registrant lawfully entitled to control of the
> address block.
>
> To some extent you may be able to make binding legal promises to the
> financing company with respect to facilitating a subsequent transfer should
> you default on payments. A lawyer could help you figure out how. I'm
> dubious about your luck talking the financing company in to it.

Or acquire assets in $REGION to satisfy the need for a financier to be able
to take a debt position in an asset.  Hard pressed to believe anyone is
going to finance anything but ERX/legacy addresses and only outside of the
ARIN region.

*But then.. reputable and knowledgeable broker. Or... v6. <---*

YMMV.

Best,

-M<