[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML Digest, Vol 128, Issue 7

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 12:16:32 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> The existence of your company and other "brokers" isn't evidence enough that
> people want to make money solely by buying and selling v4 resources?
>
> Methinks you fail to see the forest for the trees!
>
> Regards,
>
> McTim
>

> Hi McTim,
>
> I'm really not sure what you are saying above, but actually the existence of
> brokers like me is in fact evidence that people want to make money solely by
> buying and selling IPv4 addresses.  Adding quotes around brokers doesn't
> really change that fact.
>
> As a poster who has for years made comments related to speculation, do you
> care to speculate yourself on the example of the RIPE registry?  After all,
> if there has been a years-long pent-up demand to speculate in IPv4
> addresses, surely there would be evidence of what you claim?

Of course, there has been speculation going on for years in the EU.

Look at the top ten by country table near the bottom of this page:

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/wilhelm/ipv4-transfers-in-the-ripe-ncc-service-region

and ask yourself why one small country punches above its weight in exported v4.

While these PI blocks were acquired within policy, it is clear that
they were obtained for later resale, which is definition #2 below:

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun

1.
the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
"there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
2.
investment in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain
but with the risk of loss.
"the company's move into property speculation"

So I am not in favor of removing restrictions on bad behaviour just
because some have engaged in said behaviour in other regions.  I am
not saying this is fraudulent behaviour, but certainly speculative in
nature and not in the best interests of the Internet community.  That
of course is my ideology showing, and I make no bones about it.

I am a big fan of accuracy in public network information databases,
which is why I authored "no reverse without assignment" in the AFRINIC
region, so the whole "you don't care about registry accuracy' argument
doesn't fly with me.

--
Cheers,

McTim