[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:54:09 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:02 PM, David Huberman <
David.Huberman at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Marty,
>
> 1) In 2010/2011, ARIN started seeing applications for IPv4 addresses from
> out of the region.
>
> 2) The staff prepared a report which Leslie presented at a Public Policy
> Meeting, and a draft policy proposal was prepared and presented to the
> community at the 2011 ARIN meeting in Philadelphia.  As a result of the
> consensus of the room at that meeting, and as a result of further community
> feedback over the years, ARIN implemented policy thusly:

ALL OUT-OF-REGION USE which is not tied to a route announcement originating
> from a router in the ARIN region is not counted when staff measure
> utilization towards obtaining additional assignments from ARIN.
>
> To be clear:
> -I have a /20.
> - I want to transfer in more space via 8.3.
> - To qualify for an 8.3 transfer, I have to be 80%+ utilized on my /20.
> - I announce and use a /21 in Chicago
> - I announce and use a /21 in Hong Kong
> - I am 100% utilized.
> - I have no backbone, and no other route announcements are present.
>
> ARIN will deny the request to transfer in more space.  They count me at
> 50% utilized because the Hong Kong space is used out of region, with no
> cover route anchored from equipment in the ARIN region.
>
> 3) This explains why ARIN has a standard question to every request:
>
> "In accordance with section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues number resources
> for use within its region. Please confirm the requested number resources
> will be routed within the ARIN region."
>
> Does that un-confuse you? I believe ARIN should no longer take topology
> into account.  ARIN had good reasons to do so formerly, but with exhaustion
> now reached, I think those reasons are moot.

Why do we need a policy to undo something that was never a policy in the
first place? What was made up on the fly should be able to undone in the
same manner, especially considering how egregious this proposal is.

Best,

-M<