[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

David Huberman David.Huberman at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 15 17:02:55 EDT 2015

Hi Marty,

1) In 2010/2011, ARIN started seeing applications for IPv4 addresses from out of the region.

2) The staff prepared a report which Leslie presented at a Public Policy Meeting, and a draft policy proposal was prepared and presented to the community at the 2011 ARIN meeting in Philadelphia.  As a result of the consensus of the room at that meeting, and as a result of further community feedback over the years, ARIN implemented policy thusly:

ALL OUT-OF-REGION USE which is not tied to a route announcement originating from a router in the ARIN region is not counted when staff measure utilization towards obtaining additional assignments from ARIN.

To be clear:
-I have a /20.
- I want to transfer in more space via 8.3.
- To qualify for an 8.3 transfer, I have to be 80%+ utilized on my /20.
- I announce and use a /21 in Chicago
- I announce and use a /21 in Hong Kong
- I am 100% utilized.
- I have no backbone, and no other route announcements are present.

ARIN will deny the request to transfer in more space.  They count me at 50% utilized because the Hong Kong space is used out of region, with no cover route anchored from equipment in the ARIN region.

3) This explains why ARIN has a standard question to every request:

"In accordance with section 2.2 of the NRPM, ARIN issues number resources for use within its region. Please confirm the requested number resources will be routed within the ARIN region."

Does that un-confuse you? I believe ARIN should no longer take topology into account.  ARIN had good reasons to do so formerly, but with exhaustion now reached, I think those reasons are moot.

David

David R Huberman
Principal, Global IP Addressing
Microsoft Corporation