[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 18:19:28 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at>
wrote:

> On 9/15/2015 2:51 PM, John Curran wrote:
>
>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 5:44 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't the easier answer to just buy IP address space from others and not
>>> bother registering the purchase with ARIN? Then you don't need to meet
>>> *any* of the policies that impact transfers.
>>>
>> Indeterminate, since It’s unclear what you might be obtaining the rights
>> to,
>> if not actual rights to the entry in the Internet Number Registry System.
>>

> Sure it is. I'd be obtaining the rights to whatever was specified in the
> purchase contract and/or listed on the bill of sale.
>
> The "rights to the entry in the Internet Number Registry System" are
> provably not necessary in order to make use of the space.
>
>   Such
>> rights to the address block actually transfer only after the request has
>> been
>> completed at the registry.
>>

> Yes, we've heard this before. All ARIN does is maintain the records, and
> all you are transferring is the entry in the database. Got it. Doesn't
> impact routing tables or the exchange of money.
>
> That's why leasing is possible, buying outside of the registration is
> possible, rights of first refusal are possible, etc.

This is all not only possible, but in practice. ARIN has known that this
has been happening for many years now. See slide 7 http://bit.ly/1ifoSAV
for at least the start of the conversation. There's a great pub tale around
how this story developed. See me in Montreal. :)

The best way to fix this is to truly focus on the registry and follow the
lead of the other regions.

YMMV, Best,

-M<