[arin-ppml] Support for 2015-5 (Expand permitted out-of-region use of IPv4 space)

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Sep 15 17:57:15 EDT 2015

On 9/15/2015 2:51 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 5:44 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't the easier answer to just buy IP address space from others and not bother registering the purchase with ARIN? Then you don't need to meet *any* of the policies that impact transfers.
> Indeterminate, since It’s unclear what you might be obtaining the rights to,
> if not actual rights to the entry in the Internet Number Registry System.

Sure it is. I'd be obtaining the rights to whatever was specified in the
purchase contract and/or listed on the bill of sale.

The "rights to the entry in the Internet Number Registry System" are
provably not necessary in order to make use of the space.

>   Such
> rights to the address block actually transfer only after the request has been
> completed at the registry.

Yes, we've heard this before. All ARIN does is maintain the records, and
all you are transferring is the entry in the database. Got it. Doesn't
impact routing tables or the exchange of money.

That's why leasing is possible, buying outside of the registration is
possible, rights of first refusal are possible, etc.

Matthew Kaufman