[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2015-5: Out of region use - revised

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 14:31:54 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2015, at 9:47 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> I believe its a norm to expect paid staff to be neutral with respect to
> all proposals as many consensus bodies  do. ICANN would be a good
> reference. Feel free to object.
>

> Martin -
>
> If you are implying that my statement (to the effect that Owen’s
> description of ARIN’s
> current policy implementation in this area is correct) is somehow
> advocating a position
> in favor or opposed to the draft policy under consideration, I’d suggest
> that you read it
> again.
>
> Thanks!
> /John
>
> John Curran
> President and CEO
> ARIN

Hi John,

I've read your response, thanks for the suggestion.

Back to the proposal.

One point that's missed in the conversation is that we've rejected the
inverse of this proposal, restricting out of region use, multiple times.
This is exactly the same attempt with nothing more than confusing language.
The "allow" is actually a set up to "deny", just like the previous
attempts. "Flipping the script" into "allow" doesn't change anything.
Instead, it creates unnecessary encumbrances to commerce which doesn't hurt
any bad actors, it hurts us. Almost every requirement that the proposal
makes is easily achieved by the staff using public resources. If the staff
suspects that there is an issue with an applicant, ARIN _should_ use our
money to flush it out. No policy proposal is needed for ARIN to validate
who is a member or who is using our numbers. These are administrative
issues that we should not be concerned with.

I have never had any of the issues that the "proposal" seeks to resolve in
justifying almost a /8 for global use including assigning numbers from ARIN
to infrastructure in other regions. I expect that without this proposal I
will continue to have no problem. If this proposal does get adopted as
policy, I will still have no problem. I can assure you though, that small
network operators will have a big problem.

Best,

-M<