[arin-ppml] 4.10 transition/deployment /10 Was: Re: Transition /10

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:06:42 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 6:08 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> On 10/21/15 07:27 , Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
> Watching the
>> debate over the RIPE last /8 policy, it simple convinced me we were
>> _wrong_.  And having networks go to RIPE for their last v4 allocation
>> seems to be at odds with "out of region" use, which in itself is of
>> questionable utility.
>>

> So, how does ARIN handing out /24s, prevent or even discourage someone
> from going to RIPE for a /22?  It seems likely to me they would just go to
> both ARIN and RIPE and get the /24 and the /22 if they are available to
> them.

Probably, That exists regardless of what ARIN does though.

> The RIPE region could adjust their policies
>> accordingly, but they seemed to have gotten it mostly right. Making new
>> entry into the market easy-peasy without technical restrictions other
>> than you need to use it seems more reasonable that what we have.
>>

> Conceptually, I've always liked and even preferred the RIPE and APNIC last
> /8 policy, but we couldn't agree on it in 2009, and our options are now
> limited.  If you have a specific suggestion based on the realities of today

The options aren't limited. There's an existing ~/10 and a slow feed of
fragments. Does anyone believe there's going to be 'explosive' use of 4.10?
The requirements are unrealistic and almost do nothing different in terms
of encouraging v6 adoption than a potential 4.10 run out policy would.

 Thanks,

-M<