[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Thu Jun 4 16:52:51 EDT 2015

| Do you believe that allowing the transfers proposed in 2015-2 would
significantly do
| what you say is good for the community above?

I posed a question...

Is it good for the community to legitimize and reduce the risk of below
board transfers
and futures for organizations that desire more addresses than they can
justify for the
next two years growth thereby supporting and encouraging the behavior where
organizations who are willing to spend more cash now get preferential
access to IPv4
addresses for potential future need over organizations that need addresses
now
(or in the next two year time horizon)?

Do I think 2015-2 would legitimize what is currently an out of policy
transfer, and thus
reduce the risk and increase the likelihood of this behavior?

Yes, for mutli-national organizations.

This would make it legitimate for any organization that has a legal
presence and
does business in the ARIN service region, the APNIC region and the RIPE
region
to buy more than a two year supply of IP addresses from an organization in
the
ARIN service region.

Such an organization could buy a two year supply that is justified by need
in the
ARIN region, transfer them (in smaller parts) to an APNIC org that can
justify them,
and transfer them to an RIPE org.  And repeat until there was a 4 year, 6
year, 8 year
supply.

This would be legitimate, and certainly would be less risk than buying a
future of
8 years worth of IPv4 addressing, as such I would expect 2015-2 to
significantly
increase this behavior.

___Jason