[arin-ppml] ARIN-PPML 2015-2

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Jun 3 10:17:40 EDT 2015

John,

> David - It’s not a word game;

Actually, it is.

It is the same kind of Clintonesque "I did not have 'sex' with that woman"/"depends on meaning of the word 'is' is" legalistic word games that made Bill Clinton the butt of so many jokes (and ultimately didn't help him).

Instead of addressing the obvious operational problem caused by ignoring (or, if you prefer, redefining the applicability of) 7020 section 2.3, it is attempting to come up with a legalistic fantasy framework of words that attempts to define away the problem.  I'm sure it's all internally logically consistent and makes all sorts of sense if you're looking for a way for your lawyers to argue in court as opposed to actually addressing the issue, but that doesn't seem like it meets the original purpose for establishing ARIN. It is disappointing to see ARIN devolve to this, but I've gotten used to being disappointed.

As I said previously, I'm bored with word games and it's clear this discussion has past the point of diminishing returns. ARIN's failure to maintain an accurate registry database in the scenarios I described will, in the end, be most damaging to ARIN itself. Unfortunately, there will be collateral damage to the Internet community that entrusted ARIN with the responsibility to accurately reflect the state of address allocations in the ARIN service region (_not_ only those allocations recognized by ARIN's policy-of-the-day), but I suspect in time others will see that damage and 'route around it'.

Regards,
-drc
(ICANN CTO, but speaking only for myself. Really.)