[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2014-12: Anti-hijack Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 22 06:54:08 EDT 2014

On May 21, 2014, at 6:30 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem this proposal intended to fix was with the staff, not the researchers.

<http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2014-March/028104.html>

"Going forward, ARIN will not issue routing authorization that covers any
address space issued to others without community-developed policy that
specifically directs us to do so. "

<http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2014-March/028117.html>

"NRPM 11 was designed for parties requesting allocations from ARIN for
research purposes; not ARIN checking the quality/integrity of new block
received from IANA.  Given the recent occurance, I believe it is prudent
for ARIN to utilize NRPM 11 going forward for purposes of this quality
checking, as it makes visible the organization doing the testing/making
use of the space, including duration of the activity and research nature,
as well as reaffirming the expected uniqueness requirement."

> This proposal is a no op. Who was held accountable? Who will be held accountable if it happens again?

I am accountable to the community and its elected Board for compliance.

> I suggest the intent of the policy is good enough.

Clarity in number resource policy is always helpful in alignment with community
expectation and compliance to same.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran