[arin-ppml] 2600::/12 LOA

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Mar 30 05:00:08 EDT 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 10:50 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:

> I would think that the new /8s would need to be assigned to something in your database first. Then you could provide an LOA or alternative (see below).
> Sure, that sounds fine. Use Section 11 of the NRPM to assign *unique* address space of the appropriate size to ARIN (and provide an LOA for the routing to your transit provider(s)) if ARIN is doing the testing, or have whomever is doing the testing apply under Section 11 and assign the (unique) space to them (so they can just point to the allocation if anyone asks them for a LOA) and have at it.

Matthew -

That sound like a very reasonable approach; in such a manner, testing is
only done on space which was both were previously unallocated and is now
uniquely registered for that purpose.

However, I do not believe that was past practice in any of the RIRs; e.g.
routing of newly received address space (without any form of suballocation
or assignment to the RIR or any other party) has been a common practice to
see whether there is any form of impairment on the received block. It is
not "research" so much as consider prudent registry operational practice
(when applied to space that has never been suballocated.)

NRPM 11 was designed for parties requesting allocations from ARIN for
research purposes; not ARIN checking the quality/integrity of new block
received from IANA.  Given the recent occurance, I believe it is prudent
for ARIN to utilize NRPM 11 going forward for purposes of this quality
checking, as it makes visible the organization doing the testing/making
use of the space, including duration of the activity and research nature,
as well as reaffirming the expected uniqueness requirement.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO