[arin-ppml] 2014-3 Remove 8.2/8.3/8.4 Minimum IPv4 Block Size Requirements

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 14:42:44 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> There has not been a lot of feedback on this proposal. It would be nice to
> have more input from a broader cross-section of the community.
>
> At present, I am leaning towards recommending that we abandon this
> proposal for lack of support by the community. If you support this action,
> please speak up. If you support this proposal, then it is vital that you
> speak up.

I support the action of abandoning this proposal.

I oppose the proposed policy.   There are is a lack of demonstrated
significant benefits and utility shown of changing the current limit, let
alone having no limit on the minimum size of a transfer.

There are plenty of potential future drawbacks of removing the longstanding
limits;

Including the usefulness to spammers,  who would love to have a /32  from
every /24 on the internet, if they could.
And potential cross-organizational impacts  from  Real-time blacklists that
blacklist /24s.

Plus additional potential time and cost required from ARIN staff, members,
and ISP resource holders, in particular,
in dealing with users wishing to transfer a vanity /28, /29 or /32.

--
-JH