[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2014-6: Remove 7.1

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 07:33:23 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Rob Seastrom <ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:

>  Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> writes:
> > I am in agreement, and oppose the policy as written; the section
> > should not be removed.
> Hi Jimmy, There are a lot of important functions that ARIN performs that
> are not codified in the NRPM.  For instance, bulk dumps of WHOIS and
> the requirement for annual validation of POCs is in the NRPM, but the
> technical details of how ARIN is to run a WHOIS server are not.

Yes;   however,  a statement about some responsibility for the IN-ADDRs is
not a mere technical detail of some extra service from ARIN. The reverse
allocations go hand-in-hand with an allocation itself and are absolutely
vital  ---  these details are probably more important for resource holders
than WHOIS technical details.

The number policy should make it clear where the resource holder has a
responsibility to maintain these, and what kind of structure for the DNS
services the resource holder will need to provide their customers' reverse
DNS.

The NRPM  _does_  specify similar details about WHOIS;
although it does not specify how resource holders are to actually operate
their RWhois servers,  we have things such as:

"4.2.3.7.1. Reassignment Information
Each IPv4 assignment containing a /29 or more addresses shall be registered
in the WHOIS directory via SWIP or a distributed service"

--
-JH