[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Sep 25 20:11:21 EDT 2013

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 18:04, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 3:15 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> What permits, licenses or other government paperwork would a German
>>> company need to own a few routers in Ashburn, buy telco DSL lines on
>>> behalf of lata 236 customers and provide Internet access there?
>>
>> It's possible that they don't need anything, in which case, they are legally
>> operating there without needing any licenses or permits.
>
> As a Virginian, I'll help you out: in at least one version of that
> scenario, they in fact don't need anything.

Bill, I'm no lawyer but the following seems to contradict your statement, at least in my plain English reading.

http://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/befaq/forinva.aspx#a1

Other than googling and seeing what the Internet says, we are out of my element, and I'll wait for legal advice from counsel.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952