[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 25 19:19:41 EDT 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:04 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2013, at 3:15 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>> What permits, licenses or other government paperwork would a German
>>> company need to own a few routers in Ashburn, buy telco DSL lines on
>>> behalf of lata 236 customers and provide Internet access there?
>>
>> It's possible that they don't need anything, in which case, they are legally
>> operating there without needing any licenses or permits.
>
> As a Virginian, I'll help you out: in at least one version of that
> scenario, they in fact don't need anything.
>

> (Proposal Draft: Organizations ... must provide proof that they [are] legally
> operating within the ARIN service region)

Proof in that case would be:
	1.	Proof that they are an active business entity
	2.	A statement that no additional permits or licenses are required
		to operate in their present location(s).

Again, still not seeing a problem.

>>> ARIN is not qualified to assess [whether an organization is
>>> operating legally within the region] and would have a very
>>> difficult time doing so.
>>
>> I don't see that as a serious issue.
>
> The cognitive dissonance has blown my mind.

You'll have to be more clear about what you are perceiving as cognitive
dissonance, as I do not perceive any.

Owen