[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 13 17:59:57 EDT 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 5:45 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
>> A traceroute would only satisfy an initial test.  Trivially easy to set one up, get your allocation, and then move the network to where you really wanted it.
>
> Yes. However, if this subterfuge was noticed, the policy would give ARIN the capability to do something about it (if necessary), just like other ARIN policies.
>
>> Just like ARIN follows up on the utilization requirement?
>
> I've been told ARIN has revoked address space for violation of policy.

That is correct, specifically in cases where the resource request
was made based on fraudulent information.

I am not advocating for this type of test in any particular policy;
only noting that it is possible to establish conditions that would
need to be met in good faith and would have ramifications otherwise.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO