[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Sep 13 17:45:41 EDT 2013

Kevin,

On Sep 13, 2013, at 5:20 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> A traceroute would only satisfy an initial test.  Trivially easy to set one up, get your allocation, and then move the network to where you really wanted it.

Yes. However, if this subterfuge was noticed, the policy would give ARIN the capability to do something about it (if necessary), just like other ARIN policies.

> Just like ARIN follows up on the utilization requirement?

I've been told ARIN has revoked address space for violation of policy.

> Anti-grandfather means that the restrictions should equally apply to existing allocations, and current allocations that are operating outside of the ARIN region should be required to obtain allocations from their region and return the ARIN allocation.

My understanding of the policy proposal was that it was to apply to future allocations because the out-of-region requests appear to be increasing with the exhaustion of various RIR free pools.  Historically, it has been ... challenging to retroactively apply policy to pre-existing allocations.  If such retroactive application were desired (not going to comment one way or another on that aspect), I'd suggest it should be a different policy proposal.

Regards,
-drc