[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-6: Allocation of IPv4 and IPv6 Address Space to Out-of-region Requestors - Revised Problem Statement and Policy Text

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Sep 13 21:30:04 EDT 2013

On 9/13/13 2:45 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> My understanding of the policy proposal was that it was to apply to future allocations because the out-of-region requests appear to be increasing with the exhaustion of various RIR free pools.

Starting at the phrase "because ..."

If I recall correctly the policy proposal was made on behalf of one or
more law enforcement agencies, which are unlikely to have, as a
primary motivation, a relation between putative locality of allocation
requester and availability of the resource allocated.

As I pointed out earlier, agencies of government, and other entities,
other than the agency which created the allocated resource and the
initial and subsequent mechanisms of allocation (unique, consistent
with the routing regime of the epoch, ...) are mere consumers of the
resource and not subordinating sources of policy.

If I'm mistaken a pointer would be appreciated.

Eric