[arin-ppml] Statistics request regarding new entrants (was: Re: Stats request)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 27 12:56:44 EST 2013

On Nov 27, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> The word you are looking for there, John, is "has become". We've already seen
> multiple reports from members of the community that they are deadlocked on this
> issue because their upstream will not give them more space and they don't have
> enough space from their upstream to qualify through ARIN.

I have heard similar concerns expressed anecdotally.

> If they are new entrants, wouldn't it be fairly easy to look at whether or not their
> ORG-ID has received IPv6? Since "have IPv4 from ARIN" is pretty much automatic
> qualification for some amount of IPv6, I would say anyone who requested IPv6
> and is an IPv4 new entrant likely received it to the point that any error from that
> assumption could be considered statistical outliers.

If this is important information for folks to have for the development of
number resource policy, we can assemble these stats.  Would it be helpful
for us to do so?

> The return requirement is primarily enforced by the fact that ARIN will
> not issue additional resources unless/until the block(s) is/are returned.
>
> What the upstream ISP does with the returned blocks, OTOH, would be almost
> impossible to scrutinize and I suspect there are likely as many different answers
> as there are ISPs receiving returned space.

Correct - we do not in general have visibility into this aspect of the
policy.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO