[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-3: Tiny IPv6 Allocations for ISPs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 28 04:50:45 EDT 2013

On Mar 28, 2013, at 12:21 AM, Brandon Ross <bross at pobox.com> wrote:

> I must be missing something.  Once the pending fee schedule goes into place, my ISP colleagues who have a /22 of space or less will pay $500/year.  The moment that they ask for IPv6, under current policy and pending fee schedule, they will have to pay $1000/year.  How is that "no charge"?

Brandon -

  I believe that the "/48 or smaller" line on the pending fee
  schedule is incorrect and in the process of being fixed.

  The correct number in the series should read "/40 or less"
  Once corrected, your ISP colleagues who are in the xx-small
  category (with a /22 of IPv4 or less) can would be able to
  obtain a corresponding /40 of IPv6 (if the policy proposal
  being discussed were adopted) and there would be no charge.

> I would like to see what you have described implemented, which is why I submitted the policy proposal, but I don't see how it's no charge without the change.

  You are correct; it requires the correction to the pending fee
  schedule (which is underway), and then adoption of the policy
  proposal.

> And yes, I am in contact with at least 2 very small service providers that this potentially effects.  At least one of them is poor enough that the $500/year difference DOES make a difference and must be considered when they decide if they are going to deploy IPv6.

  Understood.  The current fee schedule would be far worse in
  this respect, hence the one of the reasons for the change.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO