[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2013-2: 3GPP Network IP Resource Policy

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 27 15:41:39 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> As one of the AC shepherds for the policy, I am hoping to have a discussion,
> both here on PPML at at the upcoming ARIN meeting, to cover a few key
> points:
>
>  - Is the problem statement clear to the community?

Yes. Existing software limitations make it difficult to impossible to
run a reliable 3GPP network at greater than around 40% utilization of
addresses versus connected subscribers. Current ARIN standards require
80% (?) utilization.

>  - Do you feel that it is an important problem to try to solve?

Yes.

>  - If so, how would you prefer we approach solving it?

Dual stack: IPv4 CGN plus IPv6.

This problem is not unique to 3GPP architectures. Virtually every
eyeball network has a version this problem with similarly scoped
technical limitations. The ship sailed on solving it with more IPv4
addresses years ago. What's "special" here that makes it any different
from everybody else's unmet need?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004